27 January 2010

It's soooo cheesy!!

Another vegetarian dish today, that's two this week. This one was a home run...warm stringy cheesy goodness with fresh basil and tomatoes. Such a perfect Italian-esque combination. I don't know why they work so well together, and I don't care as long as I can eat it all up!

I want to make this again. I think it turned out better than a traditional mac-n-cheese. When I do make it again though, I'll probably infuse the oil with some red pepper flake at the same time I heat the garlic. The ricotta can be a bit heavy and bland in the dish. I think it may have needed a touch of heat to cut the heaviness.
Overall though, I was greatly impressed with the dish, and because I used a whole wheat pasta, fat free mozzarella, and low fat ricotta, the dish stayed at a reasonable calorie count while being an awesome treat!

Creamy Cheese Rotini with Garlic and Oil
From the Turn Around Program

1/2 pound whole-wheat rotini
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, in chiffonade
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

1. Cook rotini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and stir to infuse oil and brown garlic.
3. Add rotini to skillet. Stir to coat. Add ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. Stir to mix and melt.
4. Remove pan from heat. Add tomato, basil, salt and pepper. Mix and serve.

Try it! You might like it...or maybe you'll order pizza.

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding, this is better than pizza! Question--did you use whole wheat pasta? Would that have boosted the health benefit, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I actually did use whole-wheat pasta. Doing so actually cuts down on the overall calories, and if you're doing WW points, it lowers that overall number as well.

    ReplyDelete