02 February 2010

Stew and Casserole


Yesterday was our day for Beef Stew cooked in the pressure cooker. Today was the Chicken Boudine. Neither were one of those "stand up and shout it" recipes, but both were filling, and most importantly very comforting foods. Both recipes made a lot of servings, so we'll probably be eating on both for a few days. I know the beef stew tastes even better the second day, I guess I'll find out tomorrow about the Boudine.

Update: The Boudine held up pretty well into the next day. If you want to know the truth of the matter, it was actually tastier on the 2nd day. The sharp cheddar seemed to be more married through the cream of mushroom base. I think if I made this again, I'd probably make it a day in advance and re-heat on the day I wanted to eat.

Try it! You might like it...or maybe you'll order pizza.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I like the idea of cooking in a pressure cooker, but if you're going to separate the components, it rather ruins the effect of joining the flavors. But that's just me. Both recipes look good, though. I take it they were?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, cooking the potatoes separate from the rest of the stew wasn't really that noticeable when you came down to eating the food. After the stew was done, I crushed the potatoes a bit and threw them in to the stew and let it set for about 4-5 minutes. That was more than enough time for the potatoes to pick up the flavour of the broth.

    Apparently there's something with cooking potatoes and certain legumes in a pressure cooker. They tend to froth the water too much, which can clog up the pressure valve.

    ReplyDelete