21 January 2010

When they say "Chicken Soup for the Soul"...

...they must be talking about this soup. Greek Chicken, Spinach and Rice Soup. It sounds simple enough, but the punch of flavour that this soup packs is staggering. Staci and I both agree that thus far, this has to rank in the top 5 items that we've made (she says the top 2). It's made from some simple staple ingredients that we normally have around the house, but not necessarily things that I would have put together. Bring me lemon chicken and I'll turn up my nose; combine it in a soup and I'll ask for a second bowl.



Greek Chicken, Spinach and Rice Soup
From the Turn Around Program Cookbook

4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth

1/2 lb. chicken breast, trimmed of all fat

2 large eggs

1/4 cup lemon juice
10 oz chopped cooked spinach
2 cups cooked brown rice
ground pepper to taste

1. Bring broth to boil in pan, add chicken. Reduce to simmer till chicken fully cooked.

2. Remove chicken and set aside. Shred once cooled.

3. Wisk eggs and lemon juice till frothy. Using one cup of broth, whisk into egg mixture to temper.

4. In pan, add spinach to remaining broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in rice.

5. Whisk in the egg-broth mixture, being careful to keep mixture moving to avoid curdling. Continue whisking till mixture thickens.

6. Add chicken back to soup and cook on low while stirring till chicken is re-heated. Season with pepper, and serve.
This recipe makes about 4 healthy sized servings.

Instead of the suggested frozen spinach, I julienned about a pound of fresh spinach and wilted it down before adding to the soup. I wasn't happy with the strong kick of the frozen spinach; this was a nice alternative. I also added in some toasted french bread with fresh grated garlic. It made for a nice combo pair, and a great dinner.


Yesterday's dinner was pretty good too. The gingered pot-roast actually had a pretty nice taste, but I'm not a fan of the eye-of-round cut that was suggested. Even cooking the entire deal in the pressure cooker, it was still a tough meat. I'll keep this recipe on the back burner and maybe try it with some stew meat in the future.


Try it! You might like it...or maybe you'll order pizza.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Thank you for the lovely taste of yours. You're right, there's no strong lemon taste and it was so creamy and rich and yummy goodness. I'm going to make some this weekend for myself.

    2. Thanks for the recipe; now I can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!! the new look, mate! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete