10 January 2010

Bangers and Rice

Staci and I have our weekly menu planned, and I'm very excited! Monday is the only real cheat-night, as we're re-doing the lamb that we did last week. I'm trying a different cut of meat this time, an actual shank, rather than the rib. I'm going to make the same sauce again, and use less cucumber to see if it will end up thicker than last time. We're branching out a bit this week, but still some great hearty items.

Monday - Lamb Shanks and Greek Yogurt Sauce.
Tuesday - Marinated Swordfish with Skillet Greens
Wednesday Chicken Souvlaki with Tomato and Mushroom Couscous
Thursday - Pork Kabobs with Roasted Red Potato Salad
Friday - Dine-out Night.

I opted for the easy route today at lunch. Staci and I went out with family yesterday, and while we were shopping we saw these delectable chicken sausages with spinach. I made a group of them today, and I'm saving the rest for next week for an awesome recipe that we found. To jazz it up a little, I paired it with some spiced rice and a brown butter and sherry glaze.


Spiced Rice
ormaybepizza recipe by Alde

1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup basmati rice
1/3 teaspoon red pepper flake
1/3 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 cups chicken stock

1. In saucepan over medium heat melt butter and add red pepper flake and garam masala.
2. Add rice, stir regularly till basmati takes on slightly golden colour.
3. Pour in chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook till all liquid is absorbed.


Chicken Sausage with Brown Butter Sherry Glaze
ormaybepizza recipe by Alde

5 chicken sausage with spinach links
3 tablespoons of butter, divided
1/4 cup cooking sherry

1. In pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add sausage links. Cook until warm throughout and browned on the outside.
2. Remove links from the pan. Add in remaining butter and allow to melt in pan. Pour in sherry and reduce until alcohol is cooked out.
3. Arrange links over rice, spoon glaze over dish.

Try it! You might like it...or maybe you'll order pizza.

3 comments:

  1. You do know you're supposed to have bangers with mashed, right? ;-)

    Another one that sounds so bloody yummy. I can't wait until payday! I must have the makings for some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW--I think I've found an easier way to open the breast for the stuffing. Go in from the top by using that natural little indentation in the round curve...the fullest part of the breast. Use that curve. Stick your knife in there and use it to create a pocket. Don't butterfly it or enlarge it beyond that little curve. Then you can either use a spoon--which is what I did--or the old baggie method to stuff the breast. A very tiny bit may come out but I'm betting that with a dryer stuffing, none will. You should be able to coat and fry a lot more easily that way. I'd show you with one *I* did but you're off at Union today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip about the stuffed chicken. After you explained it to me today it makes sense. I'll have to try your technique next time I make some stuffed chicken.

    ReplyDelete